I love Asian food. It’s definitely one of my favorites. However, I try to avoid gluten, soy, and sugar as much as possible. Right now, our family is doing a 30 day clean eating program, and we are eliminating most allergens, inflammatory, and triggering foods. I love how much creativity I use during this program to create tasty dishes using fresh, whole foods that are serving my body well.
I made this pad Thai dish the other night for dinner, and I absolutely love it! This recipe makes a large amount, so it’s been nice to enjoy it this week for lunches, as well! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 chicken thigh
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot ribbons
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz GF brown rice pad Thai noodles (use zucchini noodles to make this dish paleo)
- 2 Tb chopped cashews
- 1 Tb chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tb agave syrup
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Using a meat mallet (or, in my case, a cast iron skillet), pound the chicken thigh until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Thinly slice the chicken thigh and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken when the pan is hot. Sauté chicken until cooked, and take out of the pan and put into a bowl with the juices.
- Sauté veggies (green onions, carrot ribbons, thinly sliced yellow bell pepper, garlic, mushroom) with olive oil and salt. When the veggies are soft, move to one side of the pan.
- Crack 2 eggs on the other side of the pan and scramble.
- Once the eggs are mostly cooked, mix eggs and veggies until combined.
- Turn heat to low, and add chicken and juices back to pan.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl until combined, and add it to the pan.
- Mix together and eat sit for 2-5 mins
- Add chopped cashews/ peanuts
- Turn off heat
- Add cooked pad Thai noodles (or zucchini noodles) and stir until well combined with the sauce, meat, and veggies.
- Garnish with cilantro and squeeze of lime.